Common Thanksgiving Foods Not To Share With Pets

Common Thanksgiving Foods Not To Share With Pets

Can you believe Thanksgiving is already around the corner!? As the busiest travel time in the US, Thanksgiving is likely to be spent gathered around the dinner table with friends and family. With the large array of foods you’re making, you need to be sure that your pets aren’t getting a hold of foods that could make them sick. Here is a list of Common Thanksgiving Foods Not To Share With Pets.

 

1. Ham

Pork is high in fat, which can lead to obesity in pets. Even a small amount of ham can contribute a very large amount of calories to a small dog or cat’s diet. Additionally, ham and other pork products can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea.

 

2. Stuffing

Thanksgiving stuffing is often made with onions, scallions, or garlic. These ingredients are extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause a life-threatening anemia (destruction of the red blood cells). So, it’s best to avoid feeding any amount of stuffing to pets.

 

3. Mashed Potatoes

While potatoes are safe for pets to eat, mashed potatoes usually contain butter and milk, which can cause diarrhea in lactose intolerant pets. Additionally, some recipes call for onion powder or garlic, which are very toxic to pets.

 

 

4. Turkey Bones

Bones may splinter and cause damage to the inside of the stomach and intestines. In some cases, turkey bones may even puncture through the stomach and cause a potentially fatal abdominal infection. Also, bones can cause severe indigestion in dogs and cats, potentially causing vomiting and obstructing the bowel. 

 

5. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are very harmful and potentially deadly. They can cause severe and sometimes fatal kidney failure in dogs. Be sure to keep all dishes that include grapes and raisins away from pets, including salads that may have them mixed in!

 

6. Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, yet dogs love the smell and taste of it. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Pets that eat too much of these substances can have vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination, and hyperactivity. Also, in severe cases, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, and seizures. So, keep all chocolate desserts out of the reach of pets.

 

 

If your pets ingest any of these foods this Thanksgiving, be sure to call your veterinarian immediately or take them to an emergency vet clinic ASAP. Although there are quite a few foods you should avoid sharing with your pets, there are also a few that aren’t harmful. Check out our list of Thanksgiving Food Your Dog Will Love, if you decide to share with them in moderation.

Previous

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

If you agree to these terms, please click here.

Little White Dog Co.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Little White Dog Co.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Share This